Note: For this recipe, you'll need to use a knife and put the soup pot on the stove, so get help from a grownup. This soup works as a packed lunch if you use a thermos. It also can be frozen in individual containers for future use.
Prep time: 40-50 minutes
What you need:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 (16 oz.) box of low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 (28 oz.) can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup basil, chopped
- ¾ cup alphabet shaped pasta
- Large Dutch oven or other heavy bottomed stock pot
- Cutting board
- Place olive oil into the large pot over medium heat. (Adult help needed here!)
- Add onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in vegetable stock and crushed tomatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Stir in basil and pasta and cook until pasta is tender, about 5 additional minutes. Serve hot.